What I lost in translation at both ends of the Great Divide.

And what I found for making that attempt to bridge the chasm.




Saturday, April 17, 2010

Learning Chinese – Part I. 另一种语言

.
It is not easy learning another language. Especially Chinese which is universally acknowledge as one of the most difficult in the world. But I had to do it. Why? Being of Chinese descent is a good reason. But more so because I once read that –

If you know only one language, you're a prisoner, stuck in the tyranny of that one language.
-Andrew Cohen, professor of linguistics (1944- )
如果你只会一种语言,你就是它的暴政囚犯.
rúguǒ nǐ zhǐhuì yīzhǒng yǔyán, nǐ jiùshì nà yǔyán de bàozhèng qiúfàn

And you never know how true that is until you start to learn another language. You thought the language you mastered contained all you need and you took pride in the beauty of your language until you took up another and see a whole new world. It will not in any way diminish the appreciation of your own language, but enhance it by broadening your views. Federico Fellini puts it better –

A different language is a different vision of life.
另一种语言是生活的另一种眼光.
lìngyīzhǒng yǔyán shì lìngyīzhǒng yǎnguāng

Learning another language is like stepping through the door to another dimension. You can only go to that dimension if you have that magic key, and that magic key is its language. The greater your command of that language, the richer is the unfolding scenery. I am determined that it is worth the sacrifice for the Czech 捷克人 jiékèrén said it is living a new life.

Kolik jazyků znáš, tolikrát jsi člověkem.
You live a new life for every new language you speak.
If you know only one language, you live only once.
(Czech proverb)

If you followed this blog, you will already know how much I gained by travelling down this unfamiliar road. The experience I had, the people I met, the knowledge I gained; I will never have enjoyed that had I not made those “desperate” attempts to bridge the gap. It was not all fun. I found myself in some rather uncomfortable situations when my attempt to communicate fell flat. I found people at the other end of the divide who could not warm up to me because I could not effectively communicate (being a rather reserved person did not help either). I was not “one of them” because I could not speak their lingo. The problem is not with them. The problem is with of my command of the language. And only I can do something about it. For the Russian 苏联人 Sūliánrén said –

Language is not honey but it can bind everything (person).
语言不是蜜,却可粘住一切东西。
yǔyán bùshì mì, quèkě zhānzhù yīqiè dōngxi.

I am under no illusion how difficult this will be. But I know how much I stand to gain. I can only hope it will get easier as it goes along for everything is more difficult at the start. 凡是总是由难而 fánshì zǒngshì yóunán éryì. After all Chinese has an old saying that said “Bitter first, sweet later” 先苦后甜 xiānkǔhòutián…
.

2 comments:

  1. 俗语说:万事起头难.

    但天下无难事,只怕有心人.

    语文, 好比一个民族的灵魂, 蕴藏着各民族的文化精髓.

    中华民族五千年悠久的语言文化,豈是一朝一夕就能掌握理解.

    学习语文,应是细水長流, 品賞其中乐趣.切不可操之过急.

    所谓慢功出细活, 就是如此也

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, everything is difficult in the beginning 万事起头难.
    And nothing is impossible 天下无难事,只怕有心人.
    And I'm not going to learn Chinese in one day 一朝一夕, though I wish.
    Yes, I must be patience 不可操之过急 and go with the gentle flow of a never-ending stream.
    And I've to slow cook to bring out the flavor :) 慢功出细活.
    And I must add it is much easier with friends to help :D.

    ReplyDelete